Cereal Box Easter Baskets


While thinking of ideas for the kids Easter baskets this year my goal was not only to keep them inexpensive but to not be super-wasteful either. I really hate the idea of most of the stuff we consume ending up in the trash; and baskets (and most other goodies) marketed specifically for Easter are often one of them. 

So I searched high and low across the web for some ingenious way I could make the kids' baskets this year and I found one! Diane Gilleland of CraftyPod has a tutorial for woven Recycled Box Easter Baskets on Craftstylish that was exactly what I was looking for. In her tutorial she gives step by step instructions on how to weave your own basket--and it's super easy! The only change I made was using my hot glue gun instead of tacky glue because I didn't want to wait for them to dry (I'm more of an instant-gratification person when it comes to crafting). They're not for carrying bricks or anything, but they're pretty sturdy and I can't wait to give them to the kids. 



I did splurge $3 on these colorful eggs from Target, but I plan on keeping them to use again and again. Oh! I also didn't want to completely fill the kids' baskets with candy and I was able to find some goldfish-style bunny crackers as well--a perfect (and cheaper) alternative than a bunch of candy--they will be getting some Starburst jelly beans that I'll help them eat, though :)

I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your little ones and give making your own upcycled Easter baskets a try!


Labels: , , , , ,