So I finally finished Liam's baby clothes quilt in the last few minutes of Mother's day this week. It's been a long time coming, too--I started at least a year ago! Not that I've been working on it every day since, but there were a lot of tedious steps with how I designed this particular quilt. I didn't really map it out before I started; I just kind of made it up as I went along--also contributing to how long it took!
I started off with a bag of his old clothes that I cut up into various sized pieces, and since most of it was knit fabric I had to attach interfacing to the back of each strip so I could sew without them stretching. I had originally envisioned the entire quilt made up of clothes squares, but when it came down to wanting to finally finish the thing I knew it just wasn't going to happen!
I also quilted the individual squares straight to the batting as I made them (a method inspired by the book Patchwork Style
) which definitely gave me the feeling of getting it done faster--I escaped having to machine-quilt a giant blanket by tying the top and bottom together--but you can see the ridges on the back of where all the squares are sewn together. I do like the blue, green, and red for the border I was able to find, and I'm very pleased with how my first full-size quilt came out!
And with Liam's love for snails, I had to add a little embroidery to the back!
Quilt top closeup
Liam is head over heels for his new quilt!
Labels: clothing, eco-friendly, gifts, quilting, sewing