Library Bag & Wishlist

I've always been a book-lover. One of my favorite past times is browsing for hours through the aisles of bookstores. In fact, I started blogging about books before I got all crafty on my now much-neglected blog, Books for Bread. Although my reading has previously been much more literary-focused, I can't get enough of crafting books--they're like eye candy that you can feel guilt-free indulging in.



I have a decent-sized crafting book collection of my own, but I also take home about 15-20 books from the library every few weeks or so. One of my recent favorite finds is A Rainbow of Stitches. I've been wanting to try my hand at embroidery and/or cross-stitch for a while but hadn't been very motivated. When I saw all the cute modern designs and ideas in this book I couldn't help but pick up my needle and thread. Here's a little snail I embroidered onto Liam's quilt (which I'm still finishing up):

Liam's Birthday Quilt

I hand-copied the snail from a pattern in the book and have other ideas I'd like to work on too. This book would make a great addition to my home library *wink*wink*.

 

I'm also drooling over Martha Stewart's new Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts. I had the chance to peruse through it on a free night at Borders and it is chock-full of not only basic tips for working with fabric, but also tons of project ideas for everything from apparel, to gifts, to home decor and more. I have a tendency to not always do many of the projects in the books I collect, but I think this one would not only make a good reference book, but also be a great starting point to coming up with more of my own creative ideas.



And last on today's list is The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking by Jane Brocket, the same author of The Gentle Art of Domesticity, which I blogged about not too long ago. Domesticity was a vibrant and inspiration filled-book that I poured over for hours after finding it at the library, and I can only imaging that Brocket's book on quiltmaking is equally as enjoyable. Both are books I'd love to own! And, although I guess I decrease my chances by sharing this, The Sometimes Crafter is sponsoring a giveaway for a copy of the book which ends this Sunday if anyone wants to get their hands on it.

So, although it would be very last-minute, these would make perfect gifts for the crafty mamas in your life (along with a gift card for crafting supplies of course!), or for anyone else who has a birthday coming up (a subtle hint for my hubby).

What are some of your own favorite crafting books? I'm always looking for new ones to read (and request that the library order for their shelves!).

Labels: , , , , , , ,