Along with all of the sewing I've been doing for the baby, I've wanted to sew some dresses for Eleanor, too. Well, I finally got one done yesterday from a pillowcase I found at the thrift store for about a dollar. I loved the print and thought I would make a traditional pillowcase dress out of it, but decided instead to try out Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Dress pattern from her Simple Sewing for Baby
It took me a few days to get it done. I break up my sewing process to make it more manageable--I traced the pattern and cut the fabric one day (I added lining to the dress since the pillowcase was so thin), pieced and sewed the fabric together another, and then finished up with the binding and hemming yesterday.
I've tried a couple of Lotta's patterns before, including the Simple Pants--a fail I blogged about here
. I had a few issues with this one--there were some markings missing on the printed pattern and, most of all, there was no indication of what size/age it was for! Going by the pictures of the toddlers in the book, I took a chance that it would fit Eleanor and luckily it did (I also tried it on her before finishing it off). It's a little on the short end, so it won't last long as a dress, but I can always add some pants and then pass it down when she outgrows it. Here are a couple more shots of her wearing it out at Skyler's t-ball game today.
She loves the little pocket in the front, but has yet to find anything to keep in it.
The back called for a button closure, but I decided it was late and I was done (besides they're just a pain to fasten on a busy toddler).
It's fun and rewarding being able to make so many things for the kids. And to tell you the truth, it's only been about a year and a half since I really got into sewing. I made a few things here and there growing up, but had to reteach myself how to use a machine when I started up again.
For all of you out there itching to make something yourselves, all it takes is starting with something simple! The first project I did when I bought my sewing was fixing the binding on my bathmat--that's all it took for me to catch the sewing bug!
Labels: clothing, sewing, thrifting