I'm no music critic, but I know what I like when I hear it. If it gets me dancing in the kitchen while I'm doing the dishes it's good in my book. I fell instantly in love with the Nields sisters when I reviewed their family music book, All Together Singing in the Kitchen, earlier this year. The album that came with it became an instant hit and we listen to it at least once a day with and without the kids. So of course I was more than excited when I heard from Katryna Nields on Facebook about checking out their new album, The Full Catastrophe.
photo by Kris McCue
Narissa and Katryna are an indie-folk sister-duo and have been making music together for over 20 years. The juggle of their lives as mothers, wives, and musicians is what inspired the album, borrowing the title from Zorba the Greek: "I'm a man, so I married. Wife, children, house, everything. The full catastrophe."
The album is perfect for mamas balancing home life with their own artistic expression, and I can definitely relate to songs like The Number One Reason Why Parents are Cranky (can you guess what it is?) and the uplifting lyrics of Your House is Strong:
What if all the moments that felt like failure were really the ones that made me strong/ What if all the time when you thought you'd ruined me there actually was nothing wrong/ I know there are times when you think our house will crumble on our heads/ Believe me when I say your house is strong and so are you/ The broken spots are where the light shines through / Your house is strong and so are we/ It's the forgiving of each other that sets us free...Written in the midst of sick kids, soccer practice, and play dates, The Full Catastrophe is a perfect soundtrack to the lost-shoe-hunting, never-ending-laundry-folding, lost-tooth-celebrating days of mamahood, and Katryna and Nerissa become friends and confidants as they embrace the joys and messes of life in their song.
So wouldn't you like to win your own copy to play and add a little extra oomph to your day? I thought so! Here's how to enter:
1. Comment below and tell me what helps you get through the craziness of your day, or any other mamahood tip you'd like to share. (You must complete this step to enter.)
2. Follow Maker Mama on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway--make sure to include the tag @makermama and tell me in the comments below (1 extra entry each).
3. Share the giveaway on Facebook
and comment below (1 extra entry each).
4. Follow Maker Mama on Google Friend Connect and leave a comment (1 extra entry).
And some official rules to go along:
- All contestants must be at least 18 years old or older and residents of the United States.
- Contest ends at 9 p.m. CST on Sunday, June 3. The winner will be selected randomly and will have 48 hours after email notification to send me their address (or else I might have to find a new winner!).
You can preview and purchase The Full Catastrophe on Amazon--so be sure to check it out. I can't wait to hear all your mama-tips! Good luck and happy listening!
- The value of the prize (1 copy of The Full Catastrophe CD) is approximately $20. Odds of winning are determined by the number of eligible entries. No purchase necessary to enter.
Labels: giveaway, mamahood, music