This post is sponsored by Goodwill SA.
I happened across this Banana Republic dress at Goodwill the other day and I almost squealed out loud. But then I looked closer and saw why it had been donated. There were a couple holes in the top where some of the jewels had gone missing, and there was some kind ink splattered on the skirt. Bummer. I hung it back on the rack and started to walk away. But I didn't get far--I knew I could figure out some way to make it wearable again!
To tackle the stains I first tried some homemade stain remover (a mixture of baking soda, dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide). It didn't do a thing to the ink stains, but it did get rid of some yellowing under the arms. Next I tried some hand sanitizer (the alcohol in it is supposed to help remove ink). I found if I rub it in a bit with my fingernail it started lifting some of it out. I did this and ran it through the wash a couple of time--the stains are faded, and I have a feeling they'll come out completely over time.
Next up was the top of the dress. I whipstitched the holes, and then moved some of the jewels around. Again, not perfect, but not noticeable unless you're staring closely.
I'm really happy with how it turned out and will definitely think twice before passing up a great dress that needs a little work!
Labels: clothing, eco-friendly, thrifting